Liposuction currently ranks as the number two cosmetic surgery procedure in the US after breast implants. To achieve safe and predictable outcomes with liposuction, it is imperative to have a detailed pre-operative preparation.
During the initial consultation, the surgeon will discuss the steps involved in preparation, and the patient should make an effort to follow the instructions carefully.
Well-prepared patients will typically have more confidence about their liposuction procedure, and will approach the surgery in a more pragmatic manner. Patients with adequate preparation usually make better decisions and attain higher satisfaction levels in the end. The magnificent and reliable Dr. Jacob Bloom is a board certified plastic surgeon providing liposuction and other procedures to patients in Chicago, IL and surrounding communities in The Prairie State.
Prior to the Surgery
Once the candidacy is confirmed and the tentative date of surgery is scheduled, the patient should ideally complete the following tasks well in advance:
- Arrange for the previous medical records from the physician and specialists to be sent to the surgeon’s office.
- Prepare a list of the ongoing medications, including blood thinners, NSAIDs, prescription drugs, as well as vitamins and herbal supplements to show to the surgeon.
- Get any x-rays or lab tests done as advised by the surgeon.
- Adjust the schedule of ongoing medications in consultation with the doctor, if necessary.
- Avoid smoking for a certain time period prior to liposuction surgery, as instructed by the surgeon.
- Complete any urgent tasks at home or workplace well in advance to allow for a stress-free post-surgical recovery.
- Arrange for someone to drive the patient back home after the liposuction procedure.
- Arrange for aftercare for a few days after the surgery.
If the patient stays committed to the surgeon’s preparatory guidelines as well as tips for post-surgical care, they will have a better chance of achieving safe and successful results with liposuction plastic surgery.
A Day before the Surgery
A few basic tips may be followed just a day before the liposuction procedure. The surgeon’s staff will usually provide instructions in this regard:
- Rest adequately and sleep well on the night before the surgery.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything for eight hours before the surgery.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for at least 48 hours prior to the surgery.
- Avoid wearing makeup, jewelry, nail paint, body piercings, or contact lenses on the day of the surgery.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes on way to the surgery center. If liposuction is required in the upper body areas, wear a top with front buttons.
- If the patient is a diabetic, they should get their vital parameters checked on the morning of the surgery.
Some patients may experience mild pre-operative anxiety a day prior to the surgery. In such cases, the surgeon might prescribe a mild calming medication to be taken on the night before the surgery. Experienced and dependable cosmetic surgeon Dr. Bloom receives patients from Chicago, IL and other towns and cities in the Midwest for liposuction surgery and various other invasive and non-invasive cosmetic procedures.